Do Non-US Citizens Need to Be Vaccinated to Enter the US During the COVID-19 Pandemic?

Are you a non-US citizen looking to travel to the United States during the COVID-19 pandemic? If so, you may be wondering if you need to be vaccinated in order to enter the country. The answer is yes, all international travelers, including US lawful permanent residents, immigrants, and non-US citizens, must show proof of full vaccination before boarding a flight to the United States. This page is designed to help you understand the requirements for boarding a flight to the US. If you are not fully vaccinated and are allowed to travel through an exception, you will need to sign a certification (legal statement) before boarding your flight.

Depending on the type of exception, you may also need to indicate that you have taken certain protective measures. For more information, visit the CDC website for COVID-19 Vaccination Proof Requirement for Air Passengers. Immigrants who are not fully vaccinated and are not allowed to travel through an exception must meet the certification requirements they signed before boarding their flight. Additionally, children under 18 are exempt from the vaccination requirement for foreign travelers due to both the ineligibility of some younger children and the global variability in access to vaccination for older children who qualify for vaccination.

If you need more information about international travel during the pandemic, visit the State Department website for FAQs about COVID-19 vaccination and international travel testing, what the State Department can and cannot do in the event of a crisis, passports lost or stolen abroad, emergency financial assistance for overseas citizens, and more. Additionally, you can sign up for up-to-date safety and security information and help us contact you in case of an emergency abroad. The Trusted Traveler program helps you enter or leave the United States for international travel. The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) offers several options depending on how you travel between the US and other countries and how often you travel outside the US.

Use DHS online tools to compare programs or start your application. Citizens of certain countries can also apply for Global Entry, while citizens and permanent residents of Canada are eligible for Nexus. All foreign citizens can apply for Sentri. If you are a foreign citizen or family member of a US citizen who needs help abroad, contact the US Department of State.

You can also visit Get Help in an Emergency on the Department of State (DOS) website for more information about forms of assistance that DOS can and cannot provide US citizens. The Department of State can help you in an emergency if you need a money transfer or transfer. If you have no other way to get money, you may be able to get a temporary loan through DOS or an US embassy or consulate. Finally, all foreign citizens must present a valid passport or other valid travel documents when entering or leaving the United States.

For more information about government services and resources available to US citizens traveling abroad, visit

Elise Thorne
Elise Thorne

Amateur zombie evangelist. Proud musicaholic. Amateur web practitioner. General zombie trailblazer. Award-winning beer ninja. Typical bacon geek.